Role: Head of West African Operations
Our client, a leading specialist in infrastructural project development and management is seeking a mid-level project developer. Ideally, experience of project/Business development in the power, transport/ports sector. Candidate will do the full development role from talking to communities to liaising with Government, etc.
Key requirement is French speaking and ability and willingness to work on projects around the region as well as in Ghana.
* Develop a network of senior level contacts in the relevant public and private sector institutions (e.g. Ministries, Utilities etc) across target countries in West Africa;
* Develop an understanding of the structure of the power and infrastructure sectors in the relevant countries and be able to inform management as to the key players in each country;
* Identify new project development opportunities in the power and infrastructure space across the region;
* Gather information about opportunities and prepare and submit proposals to management;
* Work closely with the wider team to evaluate opportunities and negotiate terms of involvement with local parties (e.g. Govt. or private JV partners);
* Lead in-country development tasks for a number of projects under development in the region, including by taking responsibility for:
* securing site access and land tenure;
* managing community relationships;
* procuring and managing local consultants to undertake technical studies and facilitating studies by international consultants;
* liaising with key local project stakeholders in the public and private sectors;
* assisting in drafting of submissions to regulatory authorities and funding applications to investors and/or donors;
* securing permits from the relevant authorities, including: construction permits, environmental permits and operating permits;
* reporting, in both written and verbal form, to management on the status of project development.
* Participating in initiatives and meetings.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
* 5-10 years’ experience of business development or project management in West Africa, preferably in the power or other infrastructure sectors;
* Understanding of key finance terms and investment considerations;
* Understanding of technical terms in the power and infrastructure sectors and operations of power plants and other infrastructure assets;
* Undergraduate degree essential preferably in an engineering or business/finance discipline;
* MBA degree an advantage;
* Professional written and verbal communication skills essential;
* Full professional fluency in French is essential as much of the role will be focused on Francophone countries;
* Ability to work independently and entrepreneurial problem solving approach essential;
* Ability to network with stakeholders of all backgrounds (from Ministers of State to smallholder farmers) essential.
Location & Duration:
* Initial 12 month contract with scope to be extended;
* Location to be in West Africa with preference for Accra however other regional capitals will be considered;
* Extensive travel will be required within the region.
* Occasional travel to Europe, South Africa or the USA.